Are you passionate about developing and implementing forward-looking and impactful programmes in collaboration with a wide spectrum of partners and creatives?
As an Assistant Manager/Manager/Senior Manager in DesignSingapore Council’s Programming and Outreach (PO) unit, you will be part of the team that oversees PO’s three programme pillars – Singapore Design Week, President*s Design Award and National Design Centre.
About DesignSingapore Council Pte. Ltd.
DesignSingapore Council’s (Dsg) vision is for Singapore to be an innovation-driven economy and a loveable city through design by 2025. As the national agency that promotes design, our mission is to develop the design sector, help Singapore use design for innovation and growth, and make life better in this UNESCO Creative City of Design. The Dsg is a subsidiary of the Singapore Economic Development Board. www.designsingapore.org
About the Programming & Outreach Unit
To develop Singapore into a thriving innovation-driven economy and loveable city by design, the Programming & Outreach unit creates experiences that deliver utility value, impact and inspiration, enabling design to be embraced by all. We realise this through Singapore Design Week (one of the most exciting flagship events in Singapore’s design calendar), the President*s Design Award (the nation’s highest design accolade); and the National Design Centre (a key Design Resource Hub).
Singapore Design Week
One of Asia’s premier design festivals, Singapore Design Week (SDW) relaunched in September 2022 with a brand-new vision, exploring design through three defining festival pillars: Design Futures, Design Marketplace and Design Impact. Design Futures focuses on the design of the future and the future of design, through the lens of forward-looking Singapore – where a more positive future is prototyped for Singapore and the world. Design Marketplace uncovers lifestyle trends from across the globe, with a spotlight on the fast-growing Southeast Asia region. Design Impact inspires with innovative and impactful design solutions that tackle society’s biggest questions and create a better world by design.
Organised by DesignSingapore Council, SDW is a celebration of creativity and innovation, championing thought leadership and showcasing the best of design from Singapore and beyond in our UNESCO City of Design.
President*s Design Award
The President*s Design Award (P*DA) is Singapore’s highest honour for designers and designs across all disciplines. It recognises the achievements of an extraordinary group of people making a difference to the lives of Singaporeans and the global community through excellent design. In 2017, P*DA was re-launched as a biennial award with a greater emphasis on the impact of design in enabling economic transformation; raising the quality of life; advancing Singapore brand, culture and connecting communities; and making ground-breaking achievements in the field of design. P*DA is presented in two categories – Designer of the Year and Design of the Year. It is conferred by the President of the Republic of Singapore and is jointly administered by the DesignSingapore Council (Dsg) and the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA).
National Design Centre
The National Design Centre (NDC) aspires to be a world-class Design Centre and key Design Resource Hub that facilitates capability building, collaborations and marketing of designers and businesses. Designers, businesses, students and the public meet here to exchange ideas and use the amenities. It is home to DesignSingapore Council, the national agency for design. The repurposed, award-winning conserved building is as much an emblem for outstanding Singaporean design and architecture, as it is a thriving venue for visitors to attend design-focused exhibitions and programmes. NDC adds to the pulse of the city’s Bras Basah.Bugis (BBB) district of arts, culture, heritage, learning and entertainment.
As an Assistant Manager/Manager/Senior Manager in the Programming & Outreach (PO) unit, your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Programming, Partnerships & Outreach:
- Working closely with the PO team to plan, develop and implement strategies, programmes and outreach activities relating to SDW, P*DA and NDC to grow recognition of outstanding Singapore design, celebrate Singapore as a city of design and make design relevant and accessible to all;
- Identifying, cultivating and collaborating with leading and emerging local and international curators, designers, partners and platforms to present innovative and inspiring content that will carve a distinctive and enduring niche for Singapore as a futuristic city of design and innovation economy; an East-West connector and convenor for Southeast Asian design and lifestyle; and a purveyor of sustainable and impactful design solutions that address urgent real-world problems;
- Partnering a wide spectrum of collaborators to enrich the content, cross-market the programme, grow the audience pool and, and drive traffic to the events; and
- Working closely with Dsg units to support and augment the outreach and engagement of their stakeholders through PO’s programmes.
- Liaising, coordinating and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders here and abroad, including key partners, curators, the design and business communities, educational institutions, industry associations, private sector organisations, government agencies, the UNESCO Creative City of Design network, appointed vendors, and also other teams within Dsg, to ensure tight, end-to-end coordination; and
- Overseeing and/or supporting projects/programmes and monitoring timelines and budget to ensure the timely and successful execution and delivery of the overall concept and project milestones, as well as the achievement of unit and organisation objectives and outcomes.
- Running and managing procurements and/or partnership agreements to ensure adherence to official guidelines;
- Assisting in OKR monitoring and preparation of reports and project status updates to management and key stakeholders; and
- Assisting in post-event assessments and evaluations, including reviews of processes, frameworks and impact measures, along with the development of strategies to better achieve each programme’s long-term vision and objectives.
To meet the challenges of this role, you should have/be:
- A degree holder with up to 8 years of relevant work experience in programming, outreach, events management, marketing or project management. Experience in organising and executing large-scale events is a bonus;
- For the Manager/Senior Manager positions: An effective collaborator who is experienced in leading project teams and managing multiple stakeholders and partners, both internal and external, across public and private sectors, and in influencing outcomes;
- A multi-tasker who is organised, detail-oriented and hands-on, with excellent project management abilities and a proven track record in delivering projects and achieving results;
- A proactive self-starter and problem solver. Resourceful, flexible, able to prioritise, troubleshoot and stay focused under tight deadlines and pressure;
- A creative, strategic thinker with good analytical and research skills;
- A team player who is ready to take on challenges and work on new programmes and initiatives;
- Experience in procurement and in structuring and delivering partnership agreements would be advantageous;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and basic event planning tools/platforms; and
- Strong interest and passion in design and appreciation of the arts and media, preferably.